Re: QUERY: which intranet book?

Subject: Re: QUERY: which intranet book?
From: "Nyman, Rikki" <Rikki -dot- Nyman -at- ALLIEDSIGNAL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 09:59:00 -0700

Cassandra wrote:

"The best book I've seen on internet design is "Creating Killer
Websites" by
David Siegel. "

I generally keep my opinions to myself ( ;-) , but I really don't like
Siegel from an structural standpoint. While there is much graphic
design info in Siegel's book, he never mentions audience or purpose.
His third-generation architecture uses metaphores and a "tunnel"
architecture that are absolutely inappropriate for intranet site
development.

I just finished a class in programming for the web. The instructor, a
programmer, used Siegel's book as his blueprint. A more god-awful site
can not be imagined, but he was absolutely faithful to Siegel's
architecture.

Much better books are the ones already noted: Bernard's "The Corporate
Intranet" and the O'Reilly book "Information Architecture for the World
Wide Web".

If you are going to use Siegel, take it with a grain of salt. But then,
you all would have figured that out!

Rikki