Re: Structure of a Research Project

Subject: Re: Structure of a Research Project
From: JIMCHEVAL -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 1998 22:14:08 EDT

In a message dated 98-06-07 22:02:13 EDT, caradura -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM writes:

<< The topic of my research is about implementing a surveillance
camera system on campus. Can somebody help me giving me a logic
structure that my project must follow. >>

Well, gosh, I doubt there's any set formula for such a thing (except maybe in
France: these, anti-these, synthese AKA thesis, antithesis, synthesis). But
my own approach would grosso modo be the following:

- The Problem (what the precipitating event was and why it's worthy of study)
- The history of the current proposal
- The existing response to this proposal
- The history of similar initiatives
- The larger issues involved (security, privacy, technological advances vs.
ethics)
- An analysis of all the preceding relative to each other
- A summary (more or less opinionated)

The whole liberally sprinkled with charts and graphs, and a few provocative
pics.

FYI Los Angeles just had a big to-do about using automatic surveillance to
catch people running red lights - the final outcome was that the number of
deaths due to this little indulgence outweighed the Big Brother quality of
cameras perched at stop signs.

Jim Chevallier
North Hollywood
== TW page: http://member.aol.com/jimcheval/twone.htm