Re: HTML Help

Subject: Re: HTML Help
From: "Taylor, Steve" <steve -dot- taylor -at- ALLEGIANCETELECOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 11:59:16 -0500

"I'm evaluating HTML Help vs. HTML-based help.

Anybody know the requirements for HTML Help? I know the customer must
have IE 4, but I thought there were other requirements too?

I'd appreciate any other info...

Ellen Hladky"

It is not necessary for the customer to have IE 4. You can distribute the
required files for an html help file (*.chm) without using IE 4.0. It is
also possible to distribute java-based html help systems, but that is a
different animal.

the required files to distribute an HTML help file are:

*.chm (the compiled help file) (put in directory with application)
hhctrl.ocx (activeX control for HTML help support) (put in windows\system
folder)
popup.ocx (if you've used popup) (windows\system folder)
itss.dll (support file) (windows\system folder)
itircl.dll (support file) (windows\system folder)
hh.exe (dipslays the .chm file) windows\folder

while MS and blue-sky recommend IE 4.0 for full functionality, i have
distributed html help without it. The trick is to install the above files
and register the above ocx and dll files in the registry using reg32.exe. (I
think that's the name of it).

Of course, the above files also work for NT systems; the placement of the
files would just be different, i.e. %winntroot%\system32 or whever these
files are on the user's system.

MS has promised an install program to assist help developers with this
process, but last time I checked, they have not released it yet...

Steve Taylor
Consultant for Technical Directions, Inc.
On location at:
Allegiance Telecom, Inc.
Dallas, TX
(214) 853-7182
steve -dot- taylor -at- allegiancetelecom -dot- com
http://www.alegiancetele.com