Re: Self-destructing documents

Subject: Re: Self-destructing documents
From: Keith Arnett <keith_arnett -at- RESTON -dot- OMD -dot- STERLING -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 13:08:42 -0500

Perhaps this is a job for a Java application? Java applets by
definition do not have the ability to make changes to the local system
(such as deleting files), but Java applications do.

However, you must provide the end user with a fairly high level of trust in
order to induce him or her to download your application, since they are
giving you access to their entire local environment. In theory, you could
decide to delete your PDF file by formatting the C:\ drive (not that you
would, of course).

I suggest you consult with a Java developer about the possibilities. It seems
to me that you could create a Java application that would display your PDF file,
and then, after some predetermined time period, run an uninstall routine that
would remove both the application and the PDF file.

Good luck,

Keith Arnett
Technical Writer
Sterling Software, Inc./Operations Management Division
Reston VA USA

Subject: Self-destructing documents
Author: John Cornellier <cornelli -at- CLAMART -dot- SRPC -dot- SLB -dot- COM> at INTERNET
Date: 6/8/98 6:48 PM

Hello

I have a PDF file I want to sell for a limited period, i.e. you use it for 30
daysand then it turns into a pumpkin or become otherwise unreadable. The medium
is PDF.

This would be like a shareware program that becomes unusable after a trial
period.Is this realistic? Obviously anyone who really wants to copy the material
will do it. They can retype it from the screen if they're so inclined. In any
case I'd l e to hear from anyone who has implemented or considered implementing
what I desc be above, whether with PDF or not.

Thanks
John Cornellier
tech writer, Paris France