Re: Style and Brevity in steps

Subject: Re: Style and Brevity in steps
From: "Pilipovich, Kathleen" <Kathleen -dot- Pilipovich-1 -at- KMAIL -dot- KSC -dot- NASA -dot- GOV>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 15:26:23 -0400

> However, I'm encountering resistance to the idea of also putting
LOCATION
> before the action when it is significant for performing the
action. For example,
> I would prefer to write:
>
> To add a new vendor:
> 1. From the Go menu, select Administer Procurement.
> Result: The Administer Procurement window appears.
> 2. From the Use menu, select Maintain Vendors, then select
Identifying
Information and an action of Add.

I vote for the above format because it's very clear and easy to follow.
I think the step below is backwards.
> 1. Click on Administer Procurement from the Go menu.
You have to look at the end of the sentence to find out what menu you need
select. I've used procedures written like this and found them very hard to
follow.
For justification, I would say that you're only adding a few extra words
to each line,
not extra pages. In most cases, the entire procedure still fits on one line.

Also because the menu item is at the end of sentence, you're asking your
readers to
read from right to left. I find that very strange.
Just my .02 cents. I hope it helps!
Kathy Pilipovich
United Space Alliance
407-861-7723, USK-252