Re: Isolation and the technical communicator

Subject: Re: Isolation and the technical communicator
From: "Brian, Flaherty" <bflaher -at- INDCON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 10:24:35 -0400

Most writers (including technical writers) are introverts and prefer to
be alone (and to work alone). This does not mean that they do not have
interpersonal skills or cannot give a speech or relate to people on a
personal level. It's the nature of this business to go, get the info,
and come back to the desk to pound away at the keys.

I'm not scared by the isolation or aloneness. I do work in an office
environment and have varied contact with my co-workers. I do feel that
the isolation would be more intense if I worked at home (I'm a single
guy with no children). But, if I did, I would make time to go out to
lunch, perhaps at the mall, or have lunch with a friend.

I am involved with outside organizations (including the STC) and have
had to learn to become a more "public" person. But, I am introverted by
nature, and being with people too long tends to drain me. (Extroverts
are the opposite. They get energized by being in the company of
people).

Brian Flaherty