Re: Isolation and the technical communicator

Subject: Re: Isolation and the technical communicator
From: Laurel Gilbert <Laurel -at- NICHE-ASSOCIATES -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 09:30:55 -0600

>>> Marjorie Hermansen-Eldard <meldard -at- zzsoft -dot- com> 06/09 8:56 AM >>>
>>>I find it most interesting that what both Laurel's term "isolation,"
I consider Nirvana! I work in a two-person documentation department; I
inhabit the corner office in a drafty, "isolated" basement and I LOVE
IT!

I didn't mean to imply that I hated the isolation, actually. With
reservations, I prefer it. On the one hand, I truly prefer to work
alone. On the other, I feel I lean on having those interpersonal
relationships at work to get feedback/ideas/help-I'm-stuck-answers. I
actually went home after my first week here and joked "it's a perfect
job for me. Not only is everyone a half-computer geek, but we're all
computer geeks who grew up loners in the library and turned into English
majors." I dont' think I'm quite *accustomed* to the isolation; all the
other companies I've worked at have been quite the social beasts, and
I've always felt like I've had to "push" myself to "fit in" and be part
of that whole office sub-culture. There doesn't seem to be much of that
office sub-culture here, and I appreciate that.

earlier this year. I know Dennis Fredette very well and know that Dennis
only works with highly skilled writers and editors. The nature of that
business--the contract business--promotes a certain amount of isolation,
I guess, because everyone is working independent of a "documentation
team," and on very different types of projects.

Well, that makes me feel good. I guess you're on the Wasatch Front,
then. I interviewed with Novell earlier this year, but couldn't see
myself being happy at *all* in that environment. I wasn't actually
looking for full-time work when I accepted at Niche; I intended to take
6 months and finish my dissertation. But Niche is exactly what I
*wanted*, and I figured I should jump at the chance.

I do think being a writer of any kind involves quite a bit of personal
"drive" and motivation. I do have to say this is the first time I've
done a job where I *consistently* lost track of time while I am doing
it....which also, I think, goes along with the potential isolation; if I
were playing the "office game," not only would I not get a lot done, but
I would be bored stiff doing it.

Laurel II (nodding to the "other Laurel," since it's such an uncommon
name....)