Re: need information on use of indexes

Subject: Re: need information on use of indexes
From: Shannon White <shannonwhite -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 05:50:02 -0700

Check the Second Quarter 1998 edition of Technical Communication.
There is a piece "Fear and Loathing of the Help Menu: A Usability
Test of Online Help." You'll find support there for the fact that
indexes are the main navigation tools for online Help (which is
considered documentation).

I've also read another piece on the usability of online Help where the
author said he/she had NEVER seen a usability subject use anything
OTHER than the index to navigate through Help. I can't find that
citation immediately, though.

I just ran one of my Help projects through a formal usability session,
and, out of the 6 subjects, none used the TOC. All used the index.

Shannon White
Business Technical Writer

http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/topics.htm