Re: periods inside quotation marks?

Subject: Re: periods inside quotation marks?
From: Andrea Ridgley <ridgley -at- OMTOOL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 11:55:49 -0400

According to my Merriam Webster's Guide to Punctuation and Style book,
"a period is placed within quotation marks even when it does not
punctuate the quoted material." However, the guide continues with "the
dash, question mark, and exclamation point are placed inside quotation
marks when they punctuate the quoted matter only. They are placed
outside the quotation marks when they punctuate the whole sentence."

Hope this helps.