PowerPoint & access to information

Subject: PowerPoint & access to information
From: Ruth Glaser <rglaser -at- DATAWORKSMPLS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 14:27:39 -0500

Gurus,

Background:
We conduct training classes to teach customers how to use the software
we develop. The class is developed as a PowerPoint presentation that is
projected during class. The presentation is also printed, bound in a
3-ring binder, and distributed to class attendees. These are the only
materials given to attendees. (This is the way it is. It will not
change--too long to explain.)

Problem:
It is difficult to find information in the binders after class. There
are no "points of entry" like an index, table of contents, list of
figures, etc. My opinion is that this renders the materials virtually
useless.

Question:
Is there a quick/easy way to automatically generate a table of contents
based on something like a level or font (this functionality does not
exist in PowerPoint)? Also, is there a tool for indexing the
presentation (I'm looking for something with Frame-like indexing--you
tag specific index entries, indicate sub-entries and generate the
index)? Do you have any other suggestions, keeping in mind the
constraints, that would make the printed information more useful in a
non-classroom environment?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ruth T. Glaser
Information Manager