"Entry level" again

Subject: "Entry level" again
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 19:32:21 -0400

Matthew Bin <mattbin -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM> wrote:

>I work as a consultant. I have been working for nine months in the
>position, and am totally responsible for documentation projects from
>start to finish. Am I wrong in thinking of myself as above "entry
>level"?

Yes, I think you may be wrong.

In my own recent salary negotiations, I argued successfully that my
two years as a writer did not reflect my level of experience.

My contention is that if, like me, you have had responsibility for
priorities, content, review schedules,template design and other
planning, and generally
been the main consultant for documentation, then you are far beyond
entry
level. The more projects you have worked on, the stronger your claim is.

By contrast, I consider an entry level writer one who has basic writing
skills,
and possible some tech-writing experience, but who has is not expected
to take any responsibility in their work.

(That's why, by the way, I tend to favor people with long records of
contracting when I'm looking for sub-contractors over people whose
experience is of the same duration, but has been spent entirely in a
permanent position.
Contractors tend to be more experienced. My most recent sub-contractor
went
from entry level to a potential partner in six months. By contrast, I've
seen
another writer who has spent two years at one position but still hasnt'
learned
to write on-line and regularly posts unintentional howlers on her
company's
web page).

Possibly, you may decide you fall somewhere between entry level and
intermediate. However, for negotiating purposes, it wouldn't hurt to
position
yorself as intermediate, at least at first. You'll probably end up with
better salary than if you think too humbly of yourself.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Co-ordinator ,Vancouver Technical Communicators' Co-op List

"As we pull in tight to shore, this armada bent on rescue,
I could curse the men behind the desks who spend our lives this way,
I never signed on board to save them from this bloody lack of planning,
That strands these fine young men beneath the fires of Calais."
- James Keelaghan