Re: how to eliminate overtime

Subject: Re: how to eliminate overtime
From: Penny Staples <pstaples -at- AIRWIRE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 10:41:02 -0500

I think this topic is as relevant for writers as for any other type of
developer. I've seen the whole overtime thing escalate into a "who's more
dedicated than who" contest, with some people working ridiculous hours. You
start to look bad if you're working a mere 40 hours a week. The perception
is that somehow you're less dedicated to the company, less worthy for
promotion and salary increases.

Personally I take pride in working efficiently enough to get my work done
within a 40 hour week (I think the relevant phrase is "Work smarter, not
harder"). I do make exceptions - sometimes a bit of overtime really is
required to meet a deadline - but I have a life outside of my career, so I
have no intention of working more than 40 hours a week on a regular basis!

I think that working more than 50 - 60 hours a week makes most people less
productive in the long run, from burn-out if nothing else. Just because
you're sitting at your desk for 10 hours a day doesn't mean you're
accomplishing anything worthwhile.

I realize contracters are in a different situation. When I used to work
freelance, I'd sometimes end up working 60 or 80 hours a week for a while -
but it was to make up periods of time where I might only be working 10 or 20
hours a week, so it tended to work out.

I'd love to see a summary to the list.

Penny Staples
pstaples -at- airwire -dot- com