Re: IS AN ESTIMATE A COMMITMENT?

Subject: Re: IS AN ESTIMATE A COMMITMENT?
From: Bill Burns <BillDB -at- ILE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 10:59:34 -0600

Michelle writes:

But, in the bid, I also
> include that the hours and rate is based on all the knowns covered in
> the meeting (existing doc to be turned over to me, outline of document
> to be written, page requirements, etc). And, I specify that if the
> knowns or requirements change, I have the right to issue a project
> modification.

We include a list of assumptions with every bid. The assumptions might
include the number of topics for a help system based on the estimate they've
given for the UI, the number of required graphics, the number of revised
pages (if we're revising existing documentation), and so on. It also
includes assumptions about the availability of SMEs, software or hardware
specs, drop-dead dates, and the like. If conditions change during the
project, we have documentation of the original agreement and the conditions.
If the changes in conditions or requirements are minor, we may let it slide.
If the changes are significant, we write a new bid.