Grammar? YES!

Subject: Grammar? YES!
From: Daniel Wise <danwise -at- MINDSPRING -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 1998 23:06:19 -0500

My apologies if you get this twice. My ISP gave me an error message when I
attempted to send it the first time.

Dan

>Date: Sun, 14 Jun 1998 23:04:28 -0500
>To: Tech Writer List
>From: Daniel Wise <danwise -at- mindspring -dot- com>
>Subject: Grammar? YES!
>
>Colleagues,
>
>Geoff Hart raised the question of whether there are any grammar "rules" we
can discard with TW/procedures. Like Geoff, I can't think of any. Whether
you are writing narrative, exposition, or imperative instructions, the same
rules apply. Or at least they have in all the 40 years of writing I have
done so far.

>No, I have not whipped out *kewl* Web pages for clients. Nor have I
experienced the joys and agonies of developing screen-size bites for on-line
help/instruction. My expertise is in paper copies of generally lengthy
documents dealing with scientific and engineering projects. And I have
written reams of engineering and administrative procedures, but never
software operating procedures.

>So, within the framework of my personal experience, I have to conclude that
grammar does count if you expect to operate within a frame of mutual
comprehension and understanding.