Re: say please--cultural differences?

Subject: Re: say please--cultural differences?
From: "Jessica N. Lange" <jlange -at- OHIOEE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 07:39:10 -0400

I worked with a very polite individual who did use "please" in technical
documentation. It bothered me greatly--my position was that the users of our
products were busy, only looked at the documentation in times of need, and
didn't have time for unnecessary words. (My argument persuaded this person
and 'Please push the button' faded from the doc.) I liked Mark L. Levinson's
answer.

However, it seems to me that the 'politeness factor' may be a cultural
thing--that other countries think the direct approach in tech writing is
rude. The Japanese culture in particular is very polite and indirect; I have
read they do not like to say "no."

Does anyone take these cultural differences into account when writing
documentation? Do you try to be more polite, less direct? The tech writing
literature these days always admonishes us to be sensitive of the culture of
our users. OK, I now avoid using any body parts (usually hands) in graphics,
but I can't see changing the *style* of my writing. Seems to me that
regardless of the culture, the user has a job to get done, with deadline
pressures, and usually only looks at the doc to get a fast answer to a
problem. Am I wrong?

Jessica N. Lange jlange -at- ohioee -dot- com
Technical Communicator, Ohio Electronic Engravers, Inc.