Technical Writing in the rest of the world

Subject: Technical Writing in the rest of the world
From: Richard MacManus <R -dot- MacManus -at- XTRA -dot- CO -dot- NZ>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 22:13:46 +1200

I would like to ask the list about how the technical writing industry is
developing outside of the USA. I am a "newbie" to technical writing and
I live in New Zealand. I have gained alot of information about technical
writing both from this list (and its archives) and from technical
writing web sites.

From what I have read, technical writing is a small but thriving
industry in the US (I hope this is a fair assessment). It is fascinating
to read about it. But I am also interested to know how technical writing
as a career is experienced outside of the USA and what opportunities
there are in countries such as New Zealand.

I would particularly like to hear from any NZ or Australian tech writers
who subscribe to this excellent list.

Thank you and regards,

Richard MacManus
R -dot- MacManus -at- xtra -dot- co -dot- nz