Re: Isolation and the technical communicator

Subject: Re: Isolation and the technical communicator
From: Walt Tucker <walt_tucker -at- MENTORG -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 09:25:26 -0700

On June 11, 1998 Judy Fraser (jfraser -at- GLINX -dot- COM) wrote:
> I agree with the last couple postings. You can work in isolation but =
> that's not to say 100% isolation.

Agreed. I work at the home office in Oregon. For the last several
years about 75% of my projects have been engineered in Singapore. We
have access to each others networks, which allows us to trade software
builds, specifications, and manual reviews. I've found that one or more
weekly phone calls or video conferences (always at the end of my day
because of the time difference), plus email, gets most of my questions
answered. The rest of the time I'm happily squirreled away in my office
playing with the software and working on the documentation. Actually,
I've grown to enjoy this arrangement. :-)

In many ways I've had a more fruitful working relationship with an engineering
group that is halfway around the globe than other local engineering groups
that were just down the hall.

-- Walt Tucker
Mentor Graphics Corp
Wilsonville, OR