Re: Humor 'n' more

Subject: Re: Humor 'n' more
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- MARVIN -dot- ENG -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 14:42:15 -0700

Max Wyss (prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch) wrote:

> Humor is indeed extremely difficult to translate. However, banning humor
> from a documentation just because it will be translated is rather dumb.
>
> BUT, you will have to get a good translator, and you will have to accept
> that this translator will essentially rewrite your documentation ... with
> the humor and cultural references for the target culture.

With the amount of money it costs just to translate straight technical
text, I certainly wouldn't recommend adding the extra burden on the
translator (and thus extra time and cost to you) of trying to figure
out the probably culture-based humor, and then having to think of an
appropriate local equivalent.

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with this
janice -dot- gelb -at- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html