Re: UN*X Help

Subject: Re: UN*X Help
From: "Lambermont, David" <David_Lambermont -at- DSCC -dot- DLA -dot- MIL>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 14:46:48 -0400

UNIX is a registered trademark (formerly of AT&T, currently of Novell, I
believe). It is often used generically, however, to describe any of the
various flavors (Sun Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, Xenix, etc.)

To more correctly reference the "flavor" as opposed to the REAL UNIX,
UN*X has become more or less standard notation.

--
David Lambermont
DIGICON Corp.

On Mike Stockman, Mike Stockman[SMTP:stockman -at- JAGUNET -dot- COM] wrote:
> OK, on a partially-related note, notice the subject line of this
thread.
> Is there some reason (and I've seen it many, many other places) for
> typing UNIX with an asterisk in place of the "I"? If you've never done
> this, please refrain from guessing in favor of explanations from those
> who have and who, presumably, have a reason. ;-)
>
> Thanks,
> ----->Mike

> Internet: stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com AOL: MStockman

~~~