Re[2]: Faulty logic

Subject: Re[2]: Faulty logic
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 15:01:48 -0500

This makes me wonder about the reason to be of the translator?
Doesn't the translator bring ideas, concepts, content from one
container (culture) to another? On the other hand, isn't this the
same the writer does?

For the most part, no, it isn't. There is a difference between adaptation
and creation. Even if you want to get really nebulous and say the TW is
adapting from the engineer's, there's still a significant difference
between the two tasks.

But take a closer look at it. Think of the writing as being done by a
contract writer, so that we can compare apples to apples. Writers are paid
by the amount of work that goes in to the manual. We make guesses based on
experience and on what can be discovered as to how much work will be
required, and bid accordingly.

The translator, OTOH, has a much better idea of how much work will be
involved, as the general shape of the job is sitting right there on the
table. After all, the idea is to translate an existing work, not to create
a new one. So rather than have to reinvent the wheel, the translator can be
paid based on the size of the original work and still be compensation
related to the amount of work; as a general rule the longer the manual the
more work for the translator, right?

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224