FWD: Political traps

Subject: FWD: Political traps
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 15:22:48 -0600

Name withheld upon request. Please reply on list.

How do you present an alternative document design to people who've
already made up their mind what they want?

I agreed to follow a design our trainers wanted in creating our
latest user manual. I hate the result and wish I'd fought harder for
my design at the beginning.

There are four problems:
1) I don't think they can visualize what I suggested without seeing
it. (This-is-the-way-we've-always-done-it syndrome.)
2) They'll have to update their training classes to accommodate the
rearranged material. (Valid concern given their workload.)
3) They had a long friendship and high respect (deserved) for my
predecessor. They may see my suggestions as changes to her work
rather than a reflection of how the product has changed.
4) Organizational politics align trainers with managerial users and
our site with field users. The product changes impact field users.
(Different manuals are not an option.)

On my own time, I've prepared an alternative that is set up the way I
feel the document should be. I'll accept whatever the trainers say,
but I'd like to think they gave my suggestion fair consideration. Any
suggestions on how I can get them to at least look at my version with
an open mind?