usability

Subject: usability
From: "M. Hunter-Kilmer" <mhunterk -at- BNA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 17:31:06 -0500

My little doc dept. is thinking about doing a dog-and-pony show for
our IT division, of which we are a part, because they don't really get
what we do and why they need us.

We thought we'd do a demo on why careful instructions are important
(we have an exercise in mind) and one on usability. We've probably
already sold the rest of the division on the careful instructions, but
that just means we'll start out with some agreement, which is nice.

Usability is another matter. My wonderful company (which can read my
e-mail at will) has been issuing products lately with new features
that have been tested by actual users only in a very cursory fashion.
While the products themselves are marvelous and our users adore them,
these new features are giving the users some problems after
deployment. (Big surprise, huh?) So we'd like to demonstrate why
usability testing is a Good Thing and how we can implement it here.

Anybody have any ideas? Send 'em to me or the list, I don't care
which. I'll summarize for the list if anybody wants me to.

Melissa Hunter-Kilmer
mhunterk -at- bna -dot- com
(standard disclaimer)