Re: sophisticated users? (long)

Subject: Re: sophisticated users? (long)
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- PRODOK -dot- CH>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 22:18:07 +0200

Rowena,

It does really depend on the users of the software. If experience and
computer savviness is required for using the software, you can be very
terse. In this case, the "describe all in fullest and widest and longest
detail" style could even be considered to be an insult.

On the other hand, if the softare is used by absolute beginneers, you will
have to write everything in full detail.

One possibility (which I have used in some cases) is to have a chapter
where the basic actions (opening a menu, selecting in a dialog box etc.)
are explained in full detail, and the rest of the documentation then was
based on these basic steps.

You implicitely say it in your message. Consider the users. Maybe even try
to get in touch with representative users. Talk to them. Learn how they
work.

Added later: You say in a follow-up message that the documentation got some
harsh comments that it did not provide enough detail. Was that on the way
the software had to be used, or was that on the options and functionality
of the software?

Hope, this can help.

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering AG
Technical documentation and translations, Electronic Publishing
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch or 100012 -dot- 44 -at- compuserve -dot- com

Bridging the Knowledge Gap ...

... with Acrobat Forms ... now for belt drive designers at

http://www.prodok.ch/prodok/riemen.html