Re: WORD 97 - combining styles on one line

Subject: Re: WORD 97 - combining styles on one line
From: "Ridder, Fred" <F -dot- Ridder -at- DIALOGIC -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 20:05:16 -0400

"Bellomy, James" <bellomyj -at- HUACHUCA-EMH31 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
asked the following question about Word 97:

>Is there any way to place two styles on the same line. I would like
>have a heading style followed by body text style and be able to use the
>automated TOC function.
>
>Only answer I have found is to manually format headings, bookmark them,
>and link from my TOC.

Well, that should work, but it must be awfully tedious unless you write
a macro to do it.

Here's an alternative solution that works in Word 95 (and which hopefully
works the same way in Word 97...):
1) Define a character style that is applied to the heading text.
2) Insert a TC (table of contents entry) field code that references that
character style using a nested STYLEREF field code.
3) Build your ToC from the TC fields using the \t switch.

For example, define a style called "char runninghead" and apply it to
the heading text. Then, some place after the text of each heading,
insert a nested field code { TC "{ STYLEREF "runninghead" }" }. Then
generate the ToC using a field code something like { TOC \o "1-4" \t },
which will pick up the standard Heading 1 through Heading 4 entries
(specified by the \o switch and the "1-3" parameter) plus the TC
field codes (specified via the \t switch).

Fred Ridder (mailto:f -dot- ridder -at- dialogic -dot- com)
Senior Technical Writer
Dialogic Corporation, Parsippany, NJ

And to keep our marketing people happy:
Get the Dialogic Edge at: http://www.dialogic.com