buttons graphics in documentation

Subject: buttons graphics in documentation
From: Ginny Allemann <ginny -at- TECHRESOURCE -dot- ORG>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 18:21:03 -0700

Hello everyone:

I've been following this list for a couple of months now. I think you will
probably be able to give me some good advice on this question.

Should little screenshots of icons and buttons be placed in-line in print
documentation (not on-line)?

My co-worker says that this would save space and not force the reader to
take their attention away from the text in order to take in the graphic.

I think it looks odd, and reads oddly, especially if the button icon is not
referred to with a name. It also seems like the size of the icon alters the
line spacing so that it is not uniform throughout.

I have checked MS Manual of Style on this-- couldn't find anything.

Could you tell me what you think or give me some suggestions of where to
look for standards?

Thank you very much.
-Ginny

Ginny Allemann