Re: Volunteer TW Services (was: Ethical Questions)

Subject: Re: Volunteer TW Services (was: Ethical Questions)
From: Beth Weise Moeller <bmoeller -at- IMEDIACONSULT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 21:23:52 -0400

On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Barbara Karst-Sabin wrote:

> In a message dated 98-06-23 18:42:48 EDT, debray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM writes:
>
> << At 03:29 PM 6/23/98 -0400, you wrote:
> >On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Barbara Karst-Sabin wrote:
> >I am fairly picky when it comes to volunteering my time. So I do some
> >research and choose groups that need and will appreciate my work. These
> >are also people you can use for references down the road.
> >>

> Don't quite know what happened here, but I didn't post that. However, I can't
> argue with the sentiment. I've done a lot of volunteering of that sort,
> editing newsletters or writing articles gratis for non-profits. Missed the
> beginning of this thread.
>
> For what it's worth.

I'll own up to that one. My TW volunteer work has been doing
newsletters for organizations, such as my local alumni association
chapter. Since my primary business focus is web sites, I've set up web
sites for our local First Night celebration (a non-alcoholic,
family-oriented, New Year's Eve celebration), our church, and have been
consulting with a summer camp for seriously ill children.

I've also had some experiences similar to the ones described in another
message. I offered my services to a local (and very struggling) coffee
house to help re-do their menus and brochures. The person I spoke with
seemed enthusiastic, but she was let go a few weeks later (for financial
reasons) and the board took over (and spent thousands re-doing things I
volunteered to do).

Beth

Beth Weise Moeller, Owner
Interactive Media Consulting
World Wide Web Design & Internet Training
http://www.imediaconsult.com
beth -at- imediaconsult -dot- com