Re: FWD: Unpaid?

Subject: Re: FWD: Unpaid?
From: John Posada <john -at- TDANDW -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 13:13:53 -0400

Dear Serf...

> I have worked for my present company for about 10 months. I do not
> have a technical writing degree, but I do have a college degree
> (B.A.,liberal arts). I work at home and thus do not have direct
> supervision (the home office is in another state). I live in
> Washington Sate. I write internal end user documentation (software).
> This includes using Word and FrontPage to create printed and
> intranet/Web docs. I make $10 an hour. Am I underpaid?

Yes, very much. In fact, you are the lowest paid tech writer (that isn't
an intern) that I've ever heard of.

> Let me make it clear that I like my job. However, since my year
> aniversery is coming up soon I want to ask for a raise. Am I justified
> in doing so? Any pointers? Should I move on? At what point does
> working for a good company/boss stop outweighing money?

About $25 dollars above what you are making now ($35). If you are being
paid $10, you * aren't* working for a good company or a good boss.

--
John Posada, Technical Writer (and proud of the title)
The world's premier Internet fax service company: The FaxSav Global

"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good
poem, see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to speak a few
reasonable words.", Goethe
"Say all you have to say in the fewest possible words, or your reader
will be sure to skip them; and in the plainest possible words or he will
certainly misunderstand them.", John Ruskin