Re: Requirements from Development?

Subject: Re: Requirements from Development?
From: Anthony Markatos <tonymar -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 09:25:14 PDT

Collen Adams asks:

Database, API, GUI, COM, inter/intranet app writers: I have a question
for you...

What do you "require" from your development/programming staff in order
to really begin putting your documentation together from scratch; I
mean, when you have NO other previous docs to begin with...and for GUI
apps, you have no interface yet to see, because it's not yet been
developed.

Tony Markatos responds:

API, GUI, etc, etc, etc - the technology makes not difference. Nor does
it make much difference whether there is existing software or not. When
I am starting a technical communications project from scratch (this is
my speciality), I really only need one thing; and, it is ALWAYS the same
thing. That is an accurate understanding of what essential end user
functions (tasks)system accomplishes and how those functions
interrelate. Once I have this, I have an excellent framework in which
to understand:

1.) All the non-essential functions that the software does because of
either imperfect technology or poor design. (Note: about 95% of all the
functionality in any software package is non-essential - it is there
only because of imperfect technology and/or poor design).

2.) All the various technologies used and how they interrelate.

Obtaining an understanding of this core critical (essential)
functionality is always very difficult. But, to the degree that my
understanding of such is incomplete, I'm lost.

Collen Adams further asks:

I need to be able to go to development and say, "we must have x,y,z, in
order to even begin putting doc together." Ideally, for the GUI apps,
I'd like to at least have a functional spec with screen shots and
minimal text explaining some of the features--is this too
much to ask of development?

Tony Markatos responds:

The "core critical (essential) functionality" that I described in my
above response is the contents of a true functional specification.
Nothing more, nothing less. However, if you ever get to see one of
these specs, you are lucky (and once you have worked to one of these
specs, working to anything else is just an unproductive bore). The vast
majority of functional specs are dysfunctional. They talk a lot about
HOW the system works, but very little about WHAT (from an end user
perspective) the system does. So, yes - it is too much to ask of
development.

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)

"The truth will set you free - but first you must be miserable"