Re: Topology or Topography?

Subject: Re: Topology or Topography?
From: Michael Collier <mcollier -at- CSC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 12:50:26 -0500

I suspect a malapropism, as I have only heard of network topologies.

Of course, if the network is up and down a lot, maybe then you do need to speak of
"network topography"!

Michael Collier
mcollier -at- csc -dot- com
Austin, TX

Dave_Swenson -at- trendmicro -dot- com on 06/26/98 11:54:19 AM

Please respond to Dave_Swenson -at- trendmicro -dot- com

To: TECHWR-L -at- listserv -dot- okstate -dot- edu
cc: (bcc: Michael Collier/FSG/CSC)
Subject: Topology or Topography?

What's the difference between Topology and Topography when describing
networks setups? The on-line tech dictionary says Topology, as do many
people here. HotBot, on the other hand seems to indicate a real-world
preference for Topography. As for me, I think of -ology as the study of
topo, i.e., surface characteristics and -graphy as drawings (writings)
thereof. But which is correct? Thanks,

David Swenson