Re: Working Wages

Subject: Re: Working Wages
From: Daniel Wise <danwise -at- MINDSPRING -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 00:29:37 -0500

>Colleagues,
>
>Bruce Byfield commented in the digest for 27-28 June that wages of $10 an
hour might be reasonable in some instances (simplistic summary statement).
I'll have to think about that for a while. Locally, proofers are getting
that much, but I have also heard very recent stories of writers/editors
outside the software arena being offered such low rates. A couple of years
ago I was asked if I would work a job out of town and what rate I wanted.
When I quoted $25/hour plus per diem there was a long silence on the phone.
Then the recruiter sort of timidly told me $25 was more than the client was
paying them. I suggested they phone a couple of my STC contacts in the city
in question so see what the local market would bear. I never heard from
them again. Later I heard that the unemployed wife of a TW friend had taken
the job at $15. The market was depressed following a layoff at a large
employer there. Jobs were hard to find and mortgage payments have a nasty
habit of coming around every month.

>Was $15 reasonable under those circumstances? For the woman who needed the
work, probably. For this old bird who lives 100 miles from the jobsite,
definitely not.

>I agree with Bruce that we need to campaign to keep rates up. We should be
careful, though, about broadcasting the names of low-paying employers.
There are serious legal ramifications involved in blackening a person/firm's
good name. We have discussed this issue on the list in the past if I
remember rightly. The archives probably are rich with information on the
subject.