Re: Working Wages

Subject: Re: Working Wages
From: Andrew Plato <aplato -at- EASYSTREET -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 07:31:15 -0700

>I agree with Bruce that we need to campaign to keep rates up. We should be
>careful, though, about broadcasting the names of low-paying employers.
>There are serious legal ramifications involved in blackening a
person/firm's
>good name.

Bad idea.

The rates people get for their work is, quite bluntly, no one's business but
their own. "Campaigns" to keep rates high will only give those that do not
deserve higher rates the courage to ask for more. While those that do
deserve more get shafted.

You want to know what technical writers get paid less then other technical
professionals. It's real simple:

Demand: The demand for writers is less then that of other professions.

Supply: The supply of writers is exceedingly high in some areas.

Incompetence: Every time an incompetent goof-ball blows a job, he/she
depresses the rates and salaries for the rest of us. If anything, we should
"campaign" to keep the incompetent goof-balls out of the profession and
worry about our rates individually. I can't tell you how many times I have
landed a contract where I was picking up the pieces after a goof-ball. He
left to go work another job and burned my client. Everytime he/she burns a
client, my rates take a hit because the companies are paranoid about getting
another goof-ball.

--------Standard Disclaimer for all TECHWR-L Posts------------
These are only opinions, not facts. Your well-constructed vision of the
universe may vary. Any relation to technical writers alive, dead, or
coincidentally in the process of dying while reading this post are not the
responsibility of the company, creator, or clan. 90 days same as cash. I
want to believe. No technical communications professionals were physically
traumatized in the production of this message. Live for a change, try Times
New Roman, now with twice the serifs of the leading font. Restrooms for
patrons only. Exit to the rear. Contrary to published reports, technical
writing is not brain surgery. Thank you, come again. The truth is out
there, because it sure as hell isn't in here.