Doc Methods

Subject: Doc Methods
From: "Schweizer, Alex" <alexs -at- VISTEON -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 15:04:28 -0400

I am looking for brief methodologies on how companies (any size)
produce/manage the documentation process. I think this is a broad
question because the answers undoubtedly will be broad. Would anyone
(and I hope many will) like to take a stab at it? I am posting this
question with the intention of refining/redefining our processes.

I'll go first (keep in mind this is a brief description):

1. Writers build doc templates.
2. Doc templates are reviewed by appropriate departments.
3. Once departments sign off on doc, templates are passed to doc and
training for formatting (hard doc, online, training guides, whatever).

Note: Our doc templates are Word docs in which we break down a software
application into component pieces (by feature/function). The component
pieces include Concepts (what the feature does, who needs it, when to
use it, how does it work, etc.), Field Definitions (definition of all
elements appearing on screen), and Procedures (what actions can the user
perform from the feature/function window). Also included are sections
for index entries, class activities, glossary, dependencies, etc.

Although we are just starting to implement this, it seems a good way to
keep information between departments consistent, though it is time
consuming. Also, this seems ideal when doc templates are started
shortly after Scope has been defined, but it is difficult to retrofit
existing doc into this process, or when we are pulled into a project in
the middle or late part of the development cycle.