Re: Working Wages (getting long)

Subject: Re: Working Wages (getting long)
From: John Posada <john -at- TDANDW -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 15:50:19 -0400

Andrew Plato wrote:

> See responses below.
>
> John's, ideas are very popular in some circles. I think they have a fundemental
> flaw - they ascribe to the notion that labor has some set, universal value.
> This is what our buddies Marx and Engles thought. And we know how well their
> ideas worked out.

That's not what I said at all. Costs are NOT set. Low cost writers can
bring it down and it is in our best interest to let people know that if
they think 10 or 20 per hour is acceptable, they can and should be
getting more per hour.

> Labor is worth what the markets will bear. Moreover, as more and more cheap
> labor floods a market - there is less and less room for the expensive people.
> This is why so many unions feared NAFTA. They did not want companies to have a
> steady stream of cheap, Mexican labor.
>
> Tech writing is no different. For each 10.00 an hour writer, the rates for the
> rest of us get depressed. Especially as the supply of writers increases.

Andrew...I have no problem with your last statement and I don't see why
you are opposed to the mine.

> >they don't have the industry exposure to know what rates are being gotten,
> >but deserve the rate anyway. Therefore, if they don't know that they should
> >be getting $40 or $50 per hour, then they may believe that they should only
> >be getting $20 or $30 (or $10, god-forbid).

See my quote above. it is not in anyone's best interest to have low cost
tech writers running around, which is the case of why awareness of
decent rates is an issue for all of us. That's why writers that are
getting $10 or $20 BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW BETTR is not in anyone's best
interest.

How did Marx, Engles, and NAFTA get brought in to this?

--
John Posada, Technical Writer (and proud of the title)
The world's premier Internet fax service company: The FaxSav Global

"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good
poem, see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to speak a few
reasonable words.", Goethe
"Say all you have to say in the fewest possible words, or your reader
will be sure to skip them; and in the plainest possible words or he will
certainly misunderstand them.", John Ruskin