Re: FW: fostering plagiarism

Subject: Re: FW: fostering plagiarism
From: Scott Miller <smiller -at- CORP -dot- PORTAL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 11:56:02 -0700

So is this copyrightable?

<HTML>
<BODY>
<TABLE WIDTH="100%">
<TR>
<TD WIDTH="20%" VALIGN=TOP></TD>
<TD WIDTH="80%" VALIGN=TOP></TD>
</TR>
</TABLE>
</BODY>
</HTML>

That's my totally original table-based page layout, which I created all
by myself. Was I too late? Was this already copyrighted? Am I off to
jail? Or was I the first to use this, and can now go a rampage?

Nah... you can't copyright HTML code, it's a public standard. Same way I
can't copyright a nested macro in WinHelp. Maybe I'm the first one to
nest some WinHelp macros is just such a way, but Microsoft would get a
wee bit peeved if I copyrighted that.

Backpedaling a bit, there's something of a gray area, I suppose. Like if
I write a DLL, that's copyrightable. So does that make something written
in JavaScript copyrightable? That's where I begin to wonder. But I draw
the line at standard HTML. There's no way you could get a copyright on
just implementing HTML in a new way. I hope. Could you imagine? What a
nightmare. "Sorry buddy, you can't use <b> and <i> together. I
copyrighted that."

- Scott M
smiller -at- portal -dot- com