Re: Visually impaired technical writers

Subject: Re: Visually impaired technical writers
From: Fabien Vais <phantoms -at- POP -dot- TOTAL -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 14:10:16 -0400

I'm not an expert, but I know a blind technical writer. He uses a laptop PC
that "talks" to him. He types well, and his PC also converts a simple text
into braille (right on his keyboard), so that he can read and comment on it.
It is amazing to see him work! So I know it's possible.

Fabien Vais
phantoms -at- total -dot- net

At 11:52 AM 7/2/98 -0500, you wrote:
>We've received several inquiries from blind students about their prospects
>for working as professional technical writers. Does anyone have any
>experience in this area? Can the visually impaired work as technical
>writers? If so, what are the accommodatioons that must be made? Thanks
>for any help anybody can send my way!
>
>-- David

>David A. McMurrey, Ph.D. hcexres -at- io -dot- com
>Technical Communications Department Ph: 512 223-4804 Off: NRG 4225
>Austin Community College Online Technical Communication Courses
>Austin, TX 78758 http://www.io.com/~hcexres/

Fabien Vais - Documentation Analyst
phantoms -at- total -dot- net
38 Elderidge, Montreal, Quebec