Re: 2 questions

Subject: Re: 2 questions
From: "Pilipovich, Kathleen" <Kathleen -dot- Pilipovich-1 -at- KMAIL -dot- KSC -dot- NASA -dot- GOV>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 14:21:09 -0400

> Should it be "data were" or "data was"
-------------
Data is considered a collective noun. A collective noun
is a word that is singular in form but represents a group
of persons, animals, or things such as board, committee,
and jury.

If the group acts as a unit, use a singular verb.
Example: The committee has agreed....

If the members of the group are thought of as acting
separately, use a plural verb.
Example: The committee are not in agreement on....

I got this info from the Gregg Reference Manual. It
doesn't specifically state data as a collective noun.
But, my last TW seminar from Solutions says that
it is.

So, I would say singular. I hope this helps!