Re: Data a collective noun?

Subject: Re: Data a collective noun?
From: Heidi Martin <hmartin -at- MICRON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 10:55:32 -0600

Rahel Bailie wrote:

"As a tech writer, I worry about similar wording issues, but as an end
user, all I want is to read the instructions and install whatever
hardware/software I've bought. I don't want to be distracted by what
appears to be odd use of language. I hear "data is" continually; if
someone were to say or write "data are", it would be a distraction. That
means I'll be thinking about why the writers used that word combination
instead of what's in the next couple of sentences. Right or wrong, "data
is" sounds more natural to my [North American] ear."

I have to disagree with Rahel on this point: the correct use of the
word data is not distracting. Data should be used as a plural, and
sounds just fine as a plural. Read this quote from US - Time and the
Melting Pot, June 28, 1998, by John Robinson, Bart Landry, and Ronica
Rooks http://www.world-view.com/database/ecast_format.hmx?articleid=26
"The data show several important similarities that apply across all
groups. But they also reveal differences..."
I can't think of many instances when singular datum would be used, which
is probably why the word data has morphed in our North-American
consciousness into something which it is not. However, I cannot think
of any reason for us, as writers, to incorrectly use the term data as a
singular noun. How many times have you ever referred to a single datum
of anything?
On the other hand, it is quite possible to use the construction "data
is" without referring to data as a singular noun, such as: "The
conclusion of the data is clear."
IMHO,
Heidi Martin
Technical Writer