Re: Data a collective noun?

Subject: Re: Data a collective noun?
From: Buck and Tilly Buchanan <writer -at- NTWS -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 1998 05:22:49 -0500

Data, when a synonym for "information" is singular.

When referring to multiple pieces of information it's plural.

It's a gray distinction, but when in doubt, data is

Why? Because it just doesn't sound right.

Anything that doesn't "sound" right pulls the user's/reader's attention
fron the task to the word.

Sometimes TWs must go against the grain of folks like my former boss,
who said, "Data always are, because of my Latin background."

--

Buck and Tilly Buchanan
Publishers, The Alvord Gazette