Re: "what is chunking" (was Senior Technical Writer..)

Subject: Re: "what is chunking" (was Senior Technical Writer..)
From: "Bergen, Jane" <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 09:36:50 -0500

Chunking is one of the basic principles taught to beginning tech writing
students (at least it was when I taught). It's the organizing of
information in "chunks" --- or groups of related information and it
requires the writer to think in terms of process and hierarchy for his
or her reader. It's also not quite so straightforward as it sounds
(requires a little expertise).

Many tech writer texts used this term ("chunking") and I assumed that it
was pretty standard in the industry.

Jane

Jane Bergen, Technical Writer
AnswerSoft, Inc.