Re: Pay Rates relative to Cost of Living in a Town

Subject: Re: Pay Rates relative to Cost of Living in a Town
From: Barry Campbell <barry -at- WEBVERANDA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 11:33:28 -0400

At 11:24 AM 7/7/98 -0400, John David Hickey wrote:

>1. How do you determine the cost of living in a town?
>2. How do you adjust your pay rate relative to the cost of living?

Dave,

There are no easy answers to these questions. You *can* find
"salary calculators" on the Web which estimate the relative
purchasing power of money in various locations; one such
program (the "Cost of Living Comparator") can be found on
Money Magazine's web site at

http://www.pathfinder.com/money/bestplaces/col/compare.html

This might give you a rough idea of the differences in the
cost of living between U.S. locations. Their data for New
York City and Raleigh, North Carolina (where I live now/
where I moved from) seems about right to me.

I've never seen an international implementation of this--in
other words, I don't know of a Web-based tool that would allow
you to compare the cost of living in Montreal to the cost of
living in, say, Boston or Dallas--but maybe this will give you an
idea of what to look for.

Hope this helps.

Best regards.
--
Barry Campbell | Why people tear the seams of anyone's dreams
barry -at- webveranda -dot- com | is over my head... (Duke Ellington/Bob Russell,