Need Half-Size, Two-Up, FrameMaker Layout Advice

Subject: Need Half-Size, Two-Up, FrameMaker Layout Advice
From: Mark Forseth <markf -at- MERGE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 10:41:12 -0500

Looking for details on composing half-size (5.5x8.5-in.) two-up (two pages
per 8.5x11-in. sheet) auto-page-numbering, four-signature layout in
FrameMaker. Connecting body-text flow is no problem, page numbering is a
problem.

Ideally, I'd print out a laser master, photocopy the master, saddle-staple
the photocopy, and fold once. That simple.

1) Can page numbering be automated for such a layout?

2) If so, how (any source works for me)?

TIA,