Re: Lo-Budget Multimedia?

Subject: Re: Lo-Budget Multimedia?
From: "D. Margulis" <ampersandvirgule -at- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 17:37:10 -0400

John Cornellier wrote:

> I'd like to take an image, say a JPG, associate it with a sound, say a WAV
> file, then embed the two together into an executable. Ideally with the
> viewer / player embedded too, so I don't need to worry about what the end
> user has installed in the way of graphics / sound viewers. I'd like images
> to be played in sequence, like a slideshow. Something like a Powerpoint
> presentation without PPT.
>
> Anyone know a way to do this cheaply?

John,

Use your page layout/word processing/graphics package of choice to lay
out your slides (choosing a custom page size with the 4:3 aspect ratio
of a monitor or projector--for example 8 inches by 6 inches).

Then print the output to a PostScript file (using a color printer
driver); Distill; and use Exchange to add in sounds, movies, animations,
etc., at will. You get fewerchoices of slide transition effects than
with PPT, but you get a more compact file. And you can distribute the
viewer (Acrobat Reader plus plug-ins) for free.

Another possibility is to go ahead and use PPT and point users to the
free PowerPoint Viewer that MS offers on their web site.

YMMV,

Dick