Re: transitive verb question

Subject: Re: transitive verb question
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- MARVIN -dot- ENG -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 10:26:03 -0700

Cyndy Davis wrote:

> I have a grammar question. "Display" is usually a transitive verb,
> meaning that it needs a complement to make a complete sentence. In
> numerous manuals I have seen display used without a complement (i.e.,
> The File dialog displays.).
>
> Has this verb mutated with the age of computers or is it one of those
> action verbs that changes with the intended meaning of the sentence. I
> would be interested in finding out how other writers use this verb.

The verb has mutated but please don't join the pack. The verb
should be used as "The application displays the File dialog box"
not "The File dialog box displays." Writers who want to get away from
the wordiness of the former, or the passive voice of "The File dialog
box is displayed," should use "The File dialog box appears."

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with this
janice -dot- gelb -at- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html