Re: transitive verb question

Subject: Re: transitive verb question
From: Alexia Prendergast <alexiap -at- SEAGATESOFTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 13:47:48 -0400

Hi, all,

This is a good case for the passive voice, IMHO:

The File dialog box is displayed.

Appropriately, the emphasis is on the dialog box -- not on the entity
displaying it. Nothing magical... just the facts, ma'am ;-)

An aside: we use "dialogs" when we are talking to developers about
designing/coding them. For users, we use "dialog boxes."

Thanks,
A.

Alexia Prendergast
Tech Pubs Manager, Seagate Software
Durham NC USA
mailto:alexiap -at- seagatesoftware -dot- com