Re: Transitive Verb Question

Subject: Re: Transitive Verb Question
From: Doug Parr <dougparr -at- INTEGRITYONLINE9 -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 14:22:40 -0600

Hi, Cyndy.

The dictionary (Websters, American Heritage, and others) say that "display" is a transitive verb. It must have a direct object. Thousands of programmers and untrained writers use "display" incorrectly, without a direct object. We technical writers have to answer to a higher authority--our readers--so let's write correctly.

Here are some correct examples:

The monitor displays the X screen. (This is correct, but wordy. Wordy writing wastes the reader's time.)
The X screen is displayed. (This is correct, but passive. Passive writing puts the reader to sleep.)
The X screen appears. (This is just right.)

Good luck with your manual!

Doug