Re: Books - what are the best references for HTML?

Subject: Re: Books - what are the best references for HTML?
From: "S. Caplan" <Sam -dot- Caplan -at- ALLTEL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 08:19:12 -0500

Quite a bit of my writing ends up on an intranet, and thus I spend a lot of time
with HTML. I'd recommend _HTML 4 for the World Wide Web_ by Elizabeth Castro
(Peachpit Press). This text is great for illustrating when HTML is browser
specific, and often provides 'workarounds' for browser specific extensions. In
addition, there are good sections on DHTML and Cascading Style Sheets (the
future, imho). In case anyone is interested, _Inside Dynamic HTML_ by Scott
Isaacs (Microsoft Press) is a great book on the subject, but does require
extensive knowledge of HTML and a scripting language (Java or VB).

Sam Caplan
ALLTEL

(not affiliated with Peachpit or MS, though I'll gladly take compensation for
the recommendations)

Subject: Books - what are the best references for HTML?
Author: Tytus Pluciennik <tytusp -at- ADLEX -dot- COM> at internet
Date: 7/14/98 9:45 AM

Hi folks!
First, I'd like to thank all of you for the helpful advice you sent me
concerning my .pdf crisis. Thanks to your e-mails, the problem has been
resolved.
My second question to you kind folks concerns HTML. Mainly, what do you
consider a good resource (book) for Web publishing. I need to make online
help in straight HTML for our software, which is to be run on Unix. I need
this online help to be as browser independent as possible, yet I keep
running into books that are either geared for Netscape or IE. I think I need
a general HTML reference that is not written for "Dummies", but is on an
intermediate level. Any suggestions?

Thank You in Advance.

Tytus Pluciennik,
Gdansk, Poland