Re: Use of Jargon/Translation

Subject: Re: Use of Jargon/Translation
From: Richard Frederick <Fred_Ri -at- CENTRAL -dot- PRINTRONIX -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 08:00:29 -0700

Bruce wrote:

Only those having exposure to the abbreviated term would know PC.
Only those having exposure to the term 'Personal Computer' would know
what
it was.

In fact, giving the full definition to someone not familiar with the
terms
'electronic' and 'data' would also be useless.

...so determining your audience is the most important step in
determining what 'jargon', if
any, to use.

---------------------------------

I have added the "/Translation" to the string for a reason. (Most things
I do, I do for a reason ... not all of them good.)

I understand the point Bruce is making. I have always thought of jargon
as "specialized language
concerned with a particular subject, culture, or profession" used
outside of that subject, culture, or profession.

The term PC or Personal Computer, when used in the US is NOT jargon. I
don't know the percentage of the homes in the US that have "a device,
usually electronic, that processes data according to a set of
instructions and is meant for the exclusive use by a singular
individual," but it is a large number. PC or Personal computer has been
infused into the English language.

This brings me to the "/Translation" portion. In China, and many other
countries, PC or Personal computer has NOT been infused into the
language. Many of the people in China would not know what "a device,
usually electronic, that processes data according to a set of
instructions and is meant for the exclusive use by a singular
individual," "Personal Computer," or "PC" is if you showed them one. It
is the job of the writer to know the audience, both foreign and
domestic, and write to that level. If the levels vary between countries,
consider writing multiple documents. It is the job of the translator,
with direction from the document author, to communicate the information
to the designated foreign audience.

Do not use "specialized language concerned with a particular subject,
culture, or profession" that has not been infused into the audience
language. It is the responsibility of the author NOT to use jargon.

Sincerely,
Richard Frederick
Senior Technical Writer
Printronix Inc.