Re: Work Practice vs Job or Task Procedure

Subject: Re: Work Practice vs Job or Task Procedure
From: Bob Morrisette <writer1 -at- SABU -dot- ENG -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 13:37:15 -0700

> Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 14:27:29 +0000
> From: Vicki Moldafsky <vmoldafsky -at- PRIMARY -dot- NET>
> Subject: Work Practice vs Job or Task Procedure
> To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
>
> I am trying to find a good definition of a work practice. What should it
> consist of? How should it be written?
> Our SAP R/3 implementation team is now being asked to write work
> practices. After they are written they are to be forwarded to the Doc
> Team (yours truly and two other long suffering souls) for formatting and
> inclusion in the training manuals and on line help.
> Today I received the first of these and unless I have completely lost it
> they sure look like the procedures already published in the training
> manuals. Our Doc Team would like to forward some guidelines to these
> people so they will not be rewriting material we have already published.
> Can anyone help point us in the right direction?
> It would be greatly appreciated.
> Digest subscriber only - but would be happy to receive any e-mails.
> --
> Vicki L. Moldafsky
> MOOG Automotive
> St. Louis, MO USA 63133
> vmoldafsky -at- primary -dot- net

Vicki,

In the ISO world, these documents are called work instructions and
fit next to the bottom in the ISO triangle. Picture a triangle with
four tiers. At the top is Quality Manual, followed downward by
Top-level Procedures, Detailed Procedures (Work Instructions),
and Data Forms and Checklists at the bottom.

A top-level procedure describes or specifies a sequence of
work activities in a business process.

A written work instruction gives commands like: do this, and can
specify which tools to use. Usually procedures refer to work instructions.

Both are supposed to describe the separate tasks, actions, and
responsibilities needed to complete a work activity. There can
be overlap, and it's up to the writer to decide how to split up
the procedures and work instructions.

Bob Morrisette
writer1 -at- Eng -dot- Sun -dot- com