Re: Technical Manual Production

Subject: Re: Technical Manual Production
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- WWW -dot- WAVEFRONT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 21:25:32 -0500

In our previous episode, Maria said:

> I would be very interested in finding out from list members what
> software is used on a daily basis to produce technical manuals.
> There has been a lot of discussion on Word and its features and I am
> wondering whether that is the standard software being used at this
> time in most companies.

I've used FrameMaker and Word for Windows. FrameMaker is easier if
you're going to be dealing with a commercial printer or producing
PDFs; Word is easier if you have to share files in editable format
with the users.

For printed materials (as opposed to help files or HTML), anything
else runs a far-distant third.

Beth Friedman bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com
"Your eyes are like aquariums," he murmured admiringly.
"Don't you mean -- aquamarines?"
"No -- aquariums. They're sort of a murky green."