Re: Question: Technical Writing Titles

Subject: Re: Question: Technical Writing Titles
From: Connie Fabian-Isaacs <cfisaacs -at- VISIONAEL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 09:32:42 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Jasmine Sante [mailto:jasmine_ctr_sante -at- FAA -dot- GOV]
Sent: Thursday, July 16, 1998 10:14 AM
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
Subject: Question: Technical Writing Titles

I've been following the discussion about non-technical writing
managers and had a somewhat related/ somewhat off-topic question.

There doesn't appear to be much deliniation between, say, an
inexperienced recent graduate technical writer (who may have a title
of...say...Technical Writer) and an individual with 10 years of
experience (aside, perhaps, from adding Senior to the title in a few
cases).

Along the same lines, the title technical writer can refer to people
like me, a software documentation writer, or someone who writes
science FAQs.

I find that this lack of clarity makes my job harder, since employers
(and co-workers) understandably lump an entire range of skill and
experience into a single title, unlike many other professions where
there are more descriptive titles available.

What sort of titles do you all encounter that differentiate the
experience, skill-set and managerial functions of writers?

Jasmine Sante
Technical Documentation Coordinator
FAA/RMCI
jasmine_ctr_sante -at- faa -dot- gov